“When all is said and done, the life of faith is nothing if not an unending struggle of the spirit with every available weapon against the flesh.”
PSALM 78
ROMANS 7
JOURNAL
The reality of being human is that I am going to be a slave to something, and perhaps the easiest thing to become enslaved to is the thing closest to me: myself. My body wants comfort, my emotions want satisfaction, my fears want security, my pride wants recognition, and my mind wants control. None of these things are necessarily evil, but when they become the authority directing my life, they become my master.
That is why following God cannot be a casual decision. It requires the daily surrender of my body, emotions, desires, fears, plans and understanding. And even with that commitment, I will struggle. Paul struggled. Israel struggled. Everyone who has seriously pursued God has struggled. The struggle does not mean God has abandoned me. It means there is something worth fighting for.
But I do not struggle without hope. Romans 7 ends not in despair but with, “Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!” Every time I surrender fear, desire, comfort or control, I make more room for God. I will serve something today. Something will capture my heart and direct my steps. So today I choose again to surrender myself to God, knowing that the struggle is real, but so is the joy that waits within and beyond it.
No comments:
Post a Comment