“And once you live a good story, you get a taste for a kind of meaning in life, and you can't go back to being normal; you can't go back to meaningless scenes stitched together by the forgettable thread of wasted time.”
PSALM 70-72
1What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? 2If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness'a
JOURNAL
Paul (Saul) spent the first part of his life imprisoned by the perspective of a bad story. His identity, his theology, and even his certainty were shaped by fear, pride, and a belief that righteousness could be earned. Then everything changed on the road to Damascus. God did not simply change Paul's direction. He gave him new eyes. The world, God, and even Paul himself were no longer seen through the lens of fear and self-righteousness, but through faith. His name changed because his story changed.
The same invitation is before me every day. So much of life is about perspective, and perspective is only found when I am fully present in today's moment. If my mind is consumed by yesterday's disappointments, tomorrow's fears, or the opinions I have already formed, I become blind to the countless ways God is speaking, leading, and revealing Himself today. My own assumptions become the greatest obstacle to seeing what God wants me to see. That is why I need to release my perspectives every morning and ask God for clear eyes, an open heart, and the humility to be changed.
Faith is not simply believing that God exists. It is trusting that He is a good Father who is writing a story far greater than the one I could write for myself. Abraham was declared righteous not because he achieved perfection, but because he trusted God. Righteousness is not something I accomplish. It is the fruit of surrendering my life to the One who sees the entire story while I only see the page I am living today.
When I approach each day this way, uncertainty is no longer something to fear. It becomes the setting where God most often surprises me. Every challenge, every interruption, every unexpected conversation becomes another opportunity to discover His wisdom, love someone well, and participate in the story He is writing. My responsibility is not to control the plot or determine the ending. It is simply to remain faithful in today's chapter.
That also frees me from carrying the impossible weight of the entire world. I do not have to solve the problems of billions of people or orchestrate the future. My calling is much simpler, though no less significant: deny myself, follow Christ today, seek His voice in this moment, and faithfully love the people He places in front of me. My family, my friends, my neighbors, my students, my players, and even strangers are all part of today's story.
Great stories are never written by characters who cling to comfort or refuse to change. They are written by those willing to step into uncertainty, trust the Author, and embrace whatever comes next. God is writing a new story in my life every single day. My prayer is that I never become so attached to my own perspective that I miss the beauty of His.
No comments:
Post a Comment