Thursday, September 10, 2026

SEPTEMBER 10, 2026

    “Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. 

"Pooh!" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you.” 
A.A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner

PROVERBS 17-18


17A friend loves at all times,
and a brother is born for a time of adversity. (17:17)

2 CORINTHIANS 2


17Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.

JOURNAL 

Wow...there is something incredibly powerful in the simple desire Piglet expresses: “I just wanted to be sure of you.” I think that is something buried deep within all of us. We want to know there is someone who will still be there when things fall apart, someone who will not disappear when we fail, disappoint them, struggle, or become difficult to love. Proverbs says, “A friend loves at all times,” not simply when friendship is easy, convenient, or deserved. Adversity is where that kind of love reveals itself.

I have been incredibly blessed to experience this kind of love. Through friends, family, my children, and especially Marcella, God has allowed me to know what it feels like to be sure of someone. I have experienced love without a price tag attached to it, love that has remained through heartache, disappointment, mistakes, and failure. There is an incredible security in knowing, “No matter what happens, I am still loved.” Father, thank you for allowing me to experience Your love through the people You have placed in my life.

But maybe the greatest lesson isn't that I should spend my life searching for people who will love me this way. Maybe God's call is for me to be this kind of love. Instead of asking, “Who will be there for me?” perhaps I should be asking, “Who can be sure of me?” Who knows that when they fall, I will help them back up? Who knows that when they disappoint me, I will not abandon them? Who knows that when they are struggling, broken, afraid, or difficult to love, I will remain beside them?

That changes everything. Love stops being something I am trying to obtain and becomes something I am called to give. Maybe that is part of why receiving unconditional love is such an incredible blessing. It teaches us what love actually looks like so that we can become it for someone else. God loves us faithfully, then places people in our lives who demonstrate that faithfulness, and ultimately calls us to carry it forward. “A friend loves at all times.” Not because the other person always deserves it, but because love itself is the calling.

I have spent much of my life grateful for the people I can be sure of. Perhaps the greater question for the life ahead of me is, who can be sure of me? Father, thank You for the extraordinary blessing of being loved this way. Now teach me not merely to search for this kind of love, but to become it. Let my life be a place where others can reach for my hand and simply know, “I just wanted to be sure of you.” And may the way I live, love, forgive, and remain faithfully beside them always answer, “You can be.”



9Two are better than one,because they have a good return for their labor:10If either of them falls down,one can help the other up.But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.

ECCLESIASTES 4:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment