“The person born with a talent they are meant to use will find their greatest happiness in using it. ”
8Then Paul made his defense: “I have done nothing wrong against the Jewish law or against the temple or against Caesar.”9Festus, wishing to do the Jews a favor, said to Paul, “Are you willing to go up to Jerusalem and stand trial before me there on these charges?”10Paul answered: “I am now standing before Caesar’s court, where I ought to be tried. I have not done any wrong to the Jews, as you yourself know very well. 11If, however, I am guilty of doing anything deserving death, I do not refuse to die. But if the charges brought against me by these Jews are not true, no one has the right to hand me over to them. I appeal to Caesar!”12After Festus had conferred with his council, he declared: “You have appealed to Caesar. To Caesar you will go!”
JOURNAL
The Parable of the Talents has always been easy for me to read as a story about productivity or success, but I am beginning to see something deeper. God has entrusted every person with unique abilities, personalities, experiences, and opportunities, and those gifts are not merely tools for accomplishing great things. They are gifts whose very use honors the Giver. There is a joy that comes simply from becoming what God created me to be. Paul demonstrates this beautifully before Festus. He doesn't become someone else because he is following Christ. He doesn't abandon his intellect, his understanding of Roman law, or his ability to reason. Instead, he offers all of it back to God. His talents become instruments of obedience. That is what faith looks like. It is not pretending to be less than I am, nor striving to be more than I am. It is fully embracing the person God created me to be and faithfully placing those gifts in His service.
Psalm 46 gives the foundation for living this way: "God is our refuge and strength." Because my confidence rests in Him, I no longer have to measure my gifts by the outcomes they produce or compare them to someone else's. Whether the mountains fall into the sea or the world around me changes completely, my calling remains the same: faithfully use what God has entrusted to me today. Jesus' warning to the servant who buried his talent was not about failing to achieve extraordinary results but about allowing fear to keep him from using what he had been given. Fear buries gifts. Trust puts them to work.
The more I surrender tomorrow to God, the freer I become to pour myself completely into today. My talents are no longer a means of proving my worth or securing my future. They become acts of worship. Whether I am working, solving problems, or simply loving the people God has placed in front of me, I glorify Him by offering my best today. A life made up of faithful todays, where every gift is joyfully invested in His kingdom, is a life that echoes into eternity.
No comments:
Post a Comment