“Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape.”
“Somehow I can't believe that there are any heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secrets of making dreams come true. This special secret, it seems to me, can be summarized in four Cs. They are curiosity, confidence, courage, and constancy, and the greatest of all is confidence. When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.” ― Walt Disney
PSALM 50-52
ACTS 27:1-25
JOURNAL
David's prayer in Psalm 51 reveals the difference between guilt and shame with remarkable clarity. Guilt acknowledges, "I have done something wrong." Shame whispers, "I am beyond restoration." David never minimizes the depth of his sin, yet he also never doubts the depth of God's love. Instead of asking God to simply erase the consequences, he asks for something far greater: "Create in me a pure heart...restore to me the joy of your salvation." David's confidence is not in his own goodness but in God's character. He believes that even after failure, God's grace is greater than his sin. That is the freedom of the gospel. I can confess honestly without being crushed because my identity rests in God's love rather than in my performance.
Paul paints that same picture from a completely different stage. Here is a prisoner, chained and headed toward trial, standing in the middle of a violent storm encouraging the very people guarding him. His confidence does not come from favorable circumstances but from belonging to God. "The God to whom I belong and whom I serve." Those words are striking. Paul has surrendered every outcome. Whether the ship survives no longer matters because he knows his life is held securely by the One who has already determined his ultimate destination. That kind of surrender transforms fear into courage. It gives a man the ability to become a source of hope for everyone around him even while he is the one in chains.
I am realizing more and more that joyful suffering is not pretending pain doesn't exist. It is refusing to let pain become the defining reality of my life. The greatest battle is almost always with the future I have imagined. Fear feeds on projections. It convinces me that rejection, failure, disappointment, or loss are already realities when, in truth, they are only possibilities. My mind tries to live in tomorrows that do not yet exist, carrying burdens that God has never asked me to carry. But Scripture continually calls me back to today.
That is where the joy of my salvation is found. Not in finally controlling tomorrow, but in trusting the One who already possesses it. My plans, dreams, and goals are good, but they were never meant to become my security. They are simply tools to guide today's obedience. The future has always belonged to God, whether I acknowledged it or not. When I surrender it back into His hands, I am not giving something away. I am simply releasing the illusion that it was ever mine to control. That frees me to live today with curiosity, courage, and confidence, not confidence in myself, but confidence in the God who has promised to sustain me. Faith as small as a mustard seed is enough because its power has never depended on the size of my faith. It has always depended on the greatness of the One in whom that faith is placed.
No comments:
Post a Comment